The University of Texas at El Paso
Founded 100 years ago, The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is the second oldest academic component of The University of Texas System (UTS). UTEP is located on the U.S.-Mexico border and a few miles from the Texas and New Mexico state line. In Fall 2013, UTEP enrolled 23,003 students, 83.8% of whom came from El Paso County and 79.4% of whom are Hispanic, primarily Mexican American.
Originally named the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy, UTEP joined the UTS in 1919, when the Board of Regents designated it the Department of Mines and Metallurgy of the University of Texas. It became the College of Mines and Metallurgy in 1920. After adding liberal arts bachelor’s and master’s programs in the 1930’s and early 1940’s, it was renamed Texas Western College in 1949 and The University of Texas at El Paso in 1967.
The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) is one of the nation’s leading minority serving institutions and a model for blending broad access and excellence. Now in its centennial year, UTEP currently offers 70 bachelor’s, 76 master’s, and 20 doctoral degrees, with the doctorate being offered in all of the University’s six colleges and the School of Nursing. In Fall 2013, 669 students were enrolled in UTEP’s doctoral programs; in 2012-2013, UTEP awarded 124 doctoral degrees, compared to fewer than 40 five years ago.
UTEP has received accolades for its programs, been designated by the state as one of only eight Emerging Research Universities (ranking second in research expenditures ($74 million) and federal research funds), and still has the lowest net cost of attendance of any research university in the country. For these and other reasons, UTEP was ranked #8 in the nation overall in 2014 by Washington Monthly and #1 (third year straight) for fostering social mobility for its students.